Austin Straubel International Airport: Ramp expansion project brings economic benefits to Brown County

Media Contacts:
Tom Miller, Director

Austin Straubel International Airport
920-498-4800
[email protected]

Susan Finco
Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Inc.
920-965-7750 ext. 158
[email protected]

(Green Bay, WI) At a news conference today, it was announced that the third phase of a planned expansion of the East General Aviation Ramp at Austin Straubel International Airport will begin in mid-April, 2014. The 65,220 square foot addition to the ramp will include an additional connection to the primary taxiway leading to a main runway. The project will improve aircraft traffic flow, create a more efficient aircraft parking area and provide an economic boost to airport operations and Brown County economic development efforts.

When complete, the East Ramp located near Jet Air will have approximately 245,000 square feet of pavement for parking aircraft. That amounts to more than five and a half acres of space; roughly the size of four football fields.

“General aviation services at the airport are an important part of our overall operations,” explained Airport Director Tom Miller. “Many of the private aircraft that come to the airport are nearly as large as commercial regional jets, so there is a need for additional space as well as a more efficient traffic flow pattern.” Miller notes that general aviation services bring economic benefits to the airport as well as the community. “More corporate aircraft are clearing U.S. Customs at Austin Straubel. The plane owners buy fuel and other services from our general aviation providers as well as use local hotels, restaurants, gas stations and the like,” he said. “The planes carry a wide variety of people including business people who are coming or going to meetings for our locally-based companies; representatives of firms that are searching for new business locations; and football fans coming to Packers games. Whatever the purpose, it generates economic activity.”

County Executive Troy Streckenbach stated, “As one of my key economic development initiatives, airport development is critical, not only for our region’s economy, but also for the long term success of Austin Straubel International Airport. This investment continues to strengthen our ability to generate revenue while offering value-added services to our customers.”

“This expansion, in partnership with the state and the county, will allow Jet Air – a Signature Select facility – to be one of the premier aircraft destinations in the State,” according to Alan Timmerman of Jet Air. The Fixed Base Operator (FBO) is adding a new 36,000 square foot hangar which will include a new aircraft upholstery shop.

“This ramp expansion will provide us with the additional space to house and service the largest of corporate aircraft, to the smallest of general aviation aircraft; offering fueling, aircraft maintenance, avionics installations, storage, and interior refurbishment, all at one location,” Timmerman said. “We appreciate the support of everyone involved; allowing us to expand and offer more employment opportunities to the Northeast Wisconsin area.”

The total project cost for the expansion, including engineering, construction, management and state administration costs is expected to be around $1 million. The state will fund 80 percent of the project with the airport/county paying for the other 20 percent. Miller added, “It is a good investment in the airport and our local economy.”

Construction is expected to be complete in July, in time to handle increased air traffic created by the Experimental Aircraft Association’s AirVenture.

# # #

About Austin Straubel International Airport (GRB): GRB is the state’s third largest airport, serving all of Northeast Wisconsin and portions of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It is one of only two commercial airports in Wisconsin designated as a Landing Rights Airport by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection for international flight arrivals.