WED Healthcare Report: DHS announces state’s third and fourth measles cases of the year 

From WisPolitics.com/WisBusiness.com …

— State health officials have identified two measles cases in Lafayette and Iowa counties, marking Wisconsin’s third and fourth cases of the year. 

The state Department of Health Services yesterday announced it had confirmed the cases with local health officials, noting they’re not linked to the two earlier cases from January. 

Still, DHS says the cases are believed to have come from in-state exposure, which suggests other unidentified cases of measles exist in Wisconsin. The agency says no specific public locations have been associated with the latest cases. 

While public health officials are pursuing an investigation and will notify others who may have been exposed, DHS warns some who get sick don’t seek medical care or get tested for measles, complicating efforts to identify where the disease is active in the state. 

The latest cases come amid multiple national outbreaks of the measles, with at least 2,465 caess reported in the United States as of Aug. 6, the latest date covered at the CDC site. A total of 38 new oubreaks have been reported so far this year, and 94% of all confirmed cases are associated with these outbreaks, more than half of which began in 2025. 

Earlier this year, DHS identified two cases of the measles with symptoms starting in late January. One of the cases resulted in hospitalization. Their vaccination status is currently not being released. 

President Donald Trump this week signed an executive order seeking to change childhood vaccination recommendations to space out vaccines over multiple visits, including the measles shot. The move has been widely criticized by health experts. The White House, meanwhile, is touting the “gold standard” recommendations, saying they “maximize parental choices” over vaccinating their children. 

See the release below. 

See more at the DHS measles dashboard

Top Stories

– WHO chief: US immunization changes ‘not aligned with decades of evidence’ 

– Trump’s goal to split MMR vaccine could take a decade, experts say 

– Trump Administration Bars Medicaid Funding of Transition Treatment for Transgender Youth 

– Hospitals Say They Found a Tool To Help Reduce Childbirth Risks: Wristbands 

– Eli Lilly targets alleged black market sales of its experimental GLP-1 drug 

Press Releases

– Department of Health Services: Confirms cases of measles in Iowa and Lafayette counties 

– The Seena Magowitz Foundation: Seena Magowitz Foundation Annual ‘Power of Us’ Conference returns to Milwaukee as pancreatic cancer research accelerates