MILWAUKEE, WI – On April 20, 2023, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors approved a resolution to conduct a comprehensive review of the MPS Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program.
The Board directed MPS Administration to establish a Deaf and Hard of Hearing Task Force (D/HH) with the goal of conducting a thorough review of the current state of the MPS D/HH programming. This review shall include but is not limited to:
- Review of current Deaf education research
- Review of Deaf education approaches (e.g., comparing the bilingual/bimodal model to the split language model)
- Survey of key stakeholders on the efficiency of current program location(s) and service needs
- Review of staffing needs and requirements
- Review of initial assessments and qualifying indicators for D/HH services
The Administration and other task force members are to report to the board during the June 2023 Board Cycle on the composition of the task force along with a proposed timeline for completion of the required review.
In an effort to ensure that the task force is broadly represented by the community, MPS invites you to join the D/HH Task Force and/or attend a meeting to learn more about the MPS D/HH program.
WHEN: Tuesday, May 30, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
WHERE: South Division High School Cafeteria, 1515 W. Lapham Boulevard, Milwaukee, WI 53204.
Please register using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/
For more information, call the Office of Board Governance at (414) 475-8284.