MILWAUKEE (August 23, 2022) – Landmark Lanes, affectionately known as The Underground City for its sprawling entertainment offerings and multiple bars, will celebrate its 95th Anniversary by playing host to a variety of nightly events beginning Monday, September 26, running through Saturday, October 1. Events include a massive game night run by Midwest Gaming Classic, a screening and Big Lebowski-themed party hosted in partnership with Milwaukee Film, a special comedy night by Milwaukee Comedy, and special firkin tappings by Lakefront Brewery.
MORE INFO and TICKETS: landmarklanes.com/95th
This array of events is a reminder to the community that Landmark Lames is more than just a bowling alley. Originally opened on September 24, 1927, the subterranean entertainment destination stretches over 24,000 square feet and features three distinct bars, a large arcade, darts, pool tables, foosball tables, and an entertainment stage. Unassuming and understated, Landmark Lanes has developed a reputation as a hangout where all are welcome. Coming to drink, bowl, and play arcade games side by side, Landmark offers a refreshing display of Milwaukeeans from all walks of life.
In 2022, tens of thousands of dollars have been spent on careful renovations throughout Landmark Lanes to bring it back to its original glory while respecting its history. A new marquee, renovated bars, hand-painted signs by Milwaukee Sign Painter, new arcade games, and other subtle upgrades will be unveiled before the week’s festivities.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- MONDAY, 9/26: Midwest Gaming Classic will run an extraordinary game night at Landmark Lanes with a unique spin on popular classic arcade games. In addition, Landmark will host a special pool tournament and Magic: The Gathering tournament. This event is free and open to the public.
- TUESDAY, 9/27: Milwaukee Comedy Presents: J Tyler Menz and Tim Higgins will host a very special edition of Voyager in The Back Bar. Voyager delivers a unique blend of stand-up and improv featuring comedians from across the Midwest. Tickets can be purchased here.
- WEDNESDAY, 9/28: Lakefront Brewery will take over all taps in The Back Bar, featuring their most popular beers and new seasonal offerings with Lakefront giveaways throughout the night. Two firkins will be made special for the event, promoting their newest seasonal beers. A stein hoist (Masskrug) competition will also be held. This event is free and open to the public.
- THURSDAY, 9/29: Milwaukee Film Presents: Lebowski Night. Partnering with the Oriental Theater, a showing of The Big Lebowski followed by a Lebowski-themed afterparty at Landmark Lanes with a special edition of Moon Room Lebowski Karaoke. Lakefront Brewery will provide a very limited firkin featuring complimentary pours of their special Lebowski-inspired brew. A limited number of VIP tickets will be available that includes a reserved bowling lane for up to 5 guests either before or after the film, a lane for up to 5 guests, two pitchers of Lakefront Brewery beer, and 95th Anniversary swag, after the film. Tickets can be purchased here.
- FRIDAY, 9/30: Customer Appreciation Night. A number of reps will be on hand giving out samples of product, including Bacardi Rum and New Glarus, as well as swag throughout the night. Local favorite Ian’s Pizza will also drop by to deliver complimentary pizza to guests. This event is free and open to the public.
Built in 1927 by the Saxe Brothers, Landmark Lanes has been a fixture of Milwaukee’s east side since before the Great Depression. The underground entertainment destination, originally called Bensinger’s Recreation, is located in the same building as the Oriental Theater and was constructed on an old horse-drawn streetcar barn site – called the Cream City Railway Car House and Mule and Horse Storage Plant. In February of 2022, the building was designated a National Historic Landmark for its national significance. It got its present name, Landmark Lanes, when the Pritchetts, brothers of world-renowned Jazz guitarist George Pritchett, purchased it in 1972.