MADISON, WI. APRIL 1, 2021 – The Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC), in consultation with the state Department of Health Services, is offering help to employers and business owners to talk with their employees about the COVID-19 vaccines and encourage as many as possible to get the vaccination.
“Employer support is key to getting Wisconsin’s workforce protected from COVID-19,” said Missy Hughes, WEDC secretary and CEO. “Getting immunized not only helps protect the employees but also their families, customers and communities. It’s what we need to do to build our state’s economy back stronger than ever.”
WEDC suggests employers can encourage employees to get the vaccine by:
- Telling employees where and when they can get vaccinated and how to make an appointment
- Organizing a workplace vaccination clinic (communicate with your local health department or find out more here)
- Providing paid leave for employees seeking vaccination from a medical provider or community vaccination site
- Eliminating transportation barriers by reimbursing travel costs such as bus or cab fare to a vaccination site
- Providing paid sick leave for employees who develop side effects from the vaccine
The vaccine guidelines are part of WEDC’s “Stay Safe, Stay Open” online resources to help businesses keep employees, customers, and our communities safe. More details on these recommendations and supporting resources can be found at https://wedc.org/reopen-guidelines.