Milwaukee – Whether you’re celebrating Dad or grads this weekend, there is one party staple that could turn your backyard bash into a blackout — a balloon.
Every year, thousands of our customers lose power in balloon-related outages. Over 20,000 We Energies customers lost power in 2020 due to balloons coming into contact with our power lines and other equipment.
Not only can balloons knock out power, the short circuit from the balloon also can cause power lines to fall to the ground, creating a dangerous situation.
Whether you’re celebrating a birthday or graduation, or just hosting a summer get-together, follow these steps to keep your family safe and the power on:
- When possible, keep balloons inside.
- Never release balloons outside.
- Make sure all balloons are tied securely to a weight that’s heavy enough to keep them from flying away.
- When you’re done with balloons, let the air out and throw them in the trash.
- Never try to retrieve a balloon that has become entangled in a power line.
If you spot a balloon stuck in our equipment, give us a call at 800-662-4797.