MADISON — Over the weekend, President Joe Biden met with Democratic Senators Joe Manchin (WV) and Krysten Sinema (AZ) regarding their ongoing obstruction preventing Congress from passing legislation that would bring much-needed relief to working families. However, Senators Manchin and Sinema are doubling down on their obstructionism unless it becomes watered down enough to keep their favorite special interest groups like fossil fuel groups and PHARMA happy.
“The American people elected Democrats to the Presidency, the House and the Senate to help struggling Americans, and confront the urgent problems before us. We cannot continue to allow Senators Manchin and Sinema to derail important legislation that will improve people’s lives and strengthen our country,” said State Treasurer Sarah Godlewski. “This is what happens when elected officials are more beholden to corporate PACs than they are to the people who sent them to serve. The American people put Democrats in charge to get big, important things done, not to let individual Senators do the bidding of the special interests. Let’s get this done.”
The legislation would:
- Lower the cost of child care and care for aging parents.
- Lower health care premiums for millions of families.
- Lower prescription drug costs, giving Medicare the power to negotiate lower prices.
- Add dental and vision coverage to Medicare.
- Extend tax cuts for families with kids.
- Confront the climate crisis, investing in resilience to save money down the road.
And would be paid for by making large corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share in taxes, something Sarah Godlewski has called for publicly.