In the latest episode of the Dairy Stream podcast, two Wisconsin state lawmakers who headed up a water quality task force break down what has been accomplished so far, the importance of conservation efforts by farmers and others, and the prospects for stalled legislation aimed at curbing contamination.
Dairy Stream host Mike Austin talked with Rep. Todd Novak, chairman of the Speaker’s Task Force on Water Quality, and Rep. Katrina Shankland, vice-chair of the task force, about a $10 million package of bills the state Assembly passed in February. Recommendations from the task force helped shape the bills. Novak and Shankland also talked about increasing well testing and bolstering conservation work.
GLC Minerals sponsored this episode.
- 1:13: Why Water Quality Task Force was created and challenges faced
- 4:15: Public hearings were important to get community input
- 6:44: Package of 13 bills passed in the Assembly had significant accomplishments
- 9:17: Implementing effective water quality programs has its challenges
- 13:22: Pushing past finger-pointing and toward science
- 15:46: Farmer-led watershed conservation groups have immense value
- 20:34: Priorities of the task force
- 22:02: Approving aspects of bills is vital
- 22:35: Next legislative session will determine more water quality bills or improvements
- 24:07: More funding is needed to advance initiatives
- 26:18: How the Legislature can address future water quality issues
Tweet about this:
.@reptoddnovak, @repshankland talked on the @VoiceofMilk @DairyForward #DairyStream podcast about #water quality task force, #conservation efforts, and working with @SpeakerVos, @GovEvers for more funding. Listen here: https://bit.ly/2Q0N5yg #DairyForward #TheVoiceofMilk
Embed on website:
<iframe title=”Steps taken to improve water quality in Wisconsin” src=”https://www.podbean.com/media/player/5d5d5-e773f8&?from=usersite&skin=1&fonts=Helvetica&auto=0&download=1&share=1&version=1&btn-skin=103” height=”122″ width=”100%” style=”border: none;” scrolling=”no” data-name=”pb-iframe-player”></iframe>
About Dairy Stream:
Dairy Stream focuses on policy, sustainability, market trends, new technology, processor updates, business partner news and farmer involvement. The podcast is co-produced by the Dairy Business Association and Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative, sister organizations that fight for effective dairy policy in Wisconsin and Washington, D.C..
The Dairy Business Association is the leading dairy lobby group in Wisconsin, focused on advocating for sensible state laws and regulations that affect the dairy community. The nonprofit organization is comprised of dairy farmers, milk processors, vendors and other business partners who work collaboratively to ensure that dairy farms of all sizes have the support they need to keep America’s Dairyland strong. More information: www.dairyforward.com
Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative provides dairy farmers throughout the Midwest with a powerful voice — the voice of milk — in Congress, with customers and within their communities. Edge, based in Green Bay, Wis., is one of the top cooperatives in the country based on milk volume. More information: www.voiceofmilk.com.