FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For additional information, contact:
Local pest management company can provide tips to prevent bringing home bed bugs – the most unwanted travel souvenir of all
Menomonee Falls, Wis., March 26, 2015… As students, individuals and families jet off to warmer destinations this spring, they are advised to take steps to ensure the only thing they bring home is memories. The pest control experts at Wil-Kil Pest Control, the Upper Midwest’s quality leader in pest management, share timely bed bug prevention tips to help travelers identify tell-tale signs of beg bug activity and avoid falling victim to a full-fledged bed bug infestation.
Throughout the popular travel month of April and leading into summer, millions will take trains, planes and automobiles as they escape to sunny destinations. With this increase in travel comes a rapid increase in bed bug infestations – known as the “hitch-hiking pest” for their ability to travel across borders, often hidden in personal items. Because these pests are not associated with uncleanliness or poor hygiene, they are just as likely to show up at a five-star resort as they are a roadside motel, which means all travelers need to be diligent in taking precautions to avoid bringing home bed bugs.
“Spring is a popular travel time for both humans and bed bugs. In fact, traveling is what bed bugs do best, hitching rides on clothing and in suitcases from hotels, resorts and cruise ships, to homes and dorm rooms,” said Randy Allen, regional manager for Wil-Kil Pest Control. “It is important for all travelers to be informed about the precautions they need to take to fight bed bugs, not with fear, but with education and proactive action.”
Although bed bugs are not known to transmit diseases to humans, their bites may itch and cause an allergic reaction for some. Bed bug infestations are also cited among pest professionals as the most difficult to treat.
Allen recommends that travelers follow a few simple tips this season to avoid bringing home these unwanted hitch-hiking, blood sucking parasites.
Wil-Kil Pest Control’s Bed Bug Prevention Tips
· Upon arrival, thoroughly inspect the entire room with a flashlight before unpacking, including behind the headboard, under lights and inside dressers, drawers, sofas and chairs for ink-like spots which may indicate bed bug activity.
· Avoid placing suitcases on hotel floors or the hotel bed – the safest place is in the bathroom or on a luggage rack after it has been thoroughly inspected. As an extra precaution, use a large plastic trash bag or a protective cover to store your suitcase.
· Check hotel bed sheets and mattress seams, particularly at the corners, for unusual blood spots upon arriving.
· If you notice any signs of bed bug activity in your room, immediately notify management and request to change rooms, making sure that your new room is not adjacent to the possibly infested one.
· Upon returning home, store luggage in the garage and inspect suitcases for any signs of bed bugs before entering your home.
o Tip: pack clothes in zip lock bags for easy cleaning upon return home.
· Vacuum suitcases thoroughly before bringing indoors and storing away. Consider using a hand steamer to steam your luggage, helping to kill any bed bugs.
· Wash all clothes – even those items that were not worn – in hot water to remove any bed bugs or eggs that may have traveled home.
o Tip: dry clean only clothes should be thrown in the dryer and run on high heat for at least 30 minutes.
For more information about bed bugs and Wil-Kil Pest Control’s prevention tips, please visit: http://www.wil-kil.com/bed-bug-services
About Wil-Kil Pest Control
Wil-Kil Pest Control, founded in 1924, is a regional pest management company that provides quality pest management for residential and commercial properties throughout the Upper Midwest – including Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, parts of Iowa, Chicagoland and all of Northern Illinois. Earning the reputation as the “Upper Midwest’s Quality Leader” in pest management, Wil-Kil utilizes the latest technologies and techniques of Integrated Pest Management methods while delivering customized programs with personalized service. Wil-Kil is an operating division of Copesan Services, Inc, with offices located in Sun Prairie, Menomonee Falls, Eau Claire and Appleton, Wis. For more information, please visit www.wil-kil.com and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter.