Dept. of Tourism: Travel Wisconsin launches popular Fall Color Report September 6
Danielle Johnson, Wisconsin Department of Tourism
Email: [email protected]
New tools and mobile site make finding Wisconsin’s fall color even easier
MADISON, Wis. (Sept. 6, 2011) — Fall is just around the corner, which means Wisconsin’s most colorful landscape is about to take shape. The best way to pinpoint the state’s peak fall colors and plan a road trip or last-minute getaway is with the TravelWisconsin.com Fall Color Report. New this year is a mobile version of TravelWisconsin.com making the Fall Color Report accessible from any smart phone. Other tools and enhancements have been added to make the report even more user-friendly.
Nearly 257,000 people viewed the online Fall Color Report last fall making it the third most popular page on TravelWisconsin.com for the year and the most popular page during the fall season. The online tool will go live on TravelWisconsin.com on September 6, with weekly emailed reports launching September 8.
The report is the state’s leading tool for travelers to track the progress of Wisconsin’s 16 million acres of forests as they turn from their summertime emerald to a vibrant palette of autumn color over the next nine to 10 weeks. Travelers spent nearly $2.9 billion in Wisconsin during the 2010 fall season (September-November), making it the state’s second busiest season after summer.
With 100 fall color reporters providing updates in all 72 counties of the state, there is no other report that is as comprehensive or timely. Using the Travel Wisconsin™ online tool, reporting is done “virtually live” — meaning reporters from chambers of commerce, visitor bureaus, tourism organizations, and state parks and forests can update their area’s status as conditions change. At a minimum, fall color watchers update once a week.
Travelers can subscribe to the emailed report by visiting TravelWisconsin.com and can expect to receive the report every Thursday, in time to make weekend plans.
Here are some highlights from the report including new enhancements:
* New! Wisconsin interactive map with tools to zoom-in to destinations of interest
* New! Travelers can submit their own brief report of current conditions from their mobile device or via TravelWisconsin.com
* New! Search for nearby attractions, accommodations, dining or events directly from the Fall Color Report
* Estimated number of weeks until their area is expected to reach peak color
* Inside travel tips from the local area such as scenic drives, colorful parks and vistas, upcoming events, and other areas of interest
* Links for local travel information
* Printable version and mobile site so fall color seekers can take the report with them, or view it on their smart phone
To assist the media who report the state’s spectacular fall colors as they change throughout the season in newscasts, weather programs, weekend features or travel sections, the Fall Color Report can be viewed in one of three ways:
1. Subscribe online here to receive the report via email every Thursday.
2. Check the report independently at TravelWisconsin.com at any time.
3. View the Fall Color Report via your mobile device.
For additional information, photography or interviews with Tourism spokespeople, please contact Danielle Johnson at [email protected] or call 608-266-0458.
Travelers looking for year-round Wisconsin getaway ideas, travel planning, events and free guides can discover their own fun at TravelWisconsin.com . You can also choose to “Like” us at Facebook.com/TravelWisconsin or follow along on Twitter at Twitter.com/TravelWI. And don’t forget to bring all the fun Wisconsin has to offer right to your fingertips by downloading the free Travel Wisconsin™ iPhone or Android app. A social media version version of this release is available with downloadable images.