CONTACT: Tia Nelson, Executive Secretary (608) 266-8369
MADISON – The Board of Commissioners of Public Lands (BCPL) today approved the sale of 234.48 acres of land located in the town of Flambeau in Price County to the Wisconsin DNR. The Trust Lands being sold are isolated, non-productive parcels adjacent to the Flambeau River State Forest. The sale of the property to the DNR will ensure the long-term protection of the natural and scenic resources of the property, while allowing BCPL to reinvest the proceeds in timber producing lands.
The Board has purchased 8,262 acres of land since being granted land bank authority by the legislature in April 2006. In addition, BCPL has sold 8,982 acres of land poorly suited for timber production or located within the boundaries of another government agency. As directed by the legislature, proceeds from the sale of those Trust Lands can be reinvested in other property, which helps the agency meet its goal of consolidating its Trust Lands and increasing timber revenue to benefit public education. This consolidation plan improves land management efficiency for the agency. In addition, BCPL’s ability to support sustainable timber management, reduce forest fragmentation, permanently protect unique natural areas and improve public access is enhanced with these purchases.
The Board also approved 13 loans totaling over $5.6 million to benefit five school districts and eight municipalities across Wisconsin to fund their public purpose projects.
Loans approved at today’s board meeting include:
* Town of Ainsworth – Langlade County / Finance road construction / $300,000
* School District of DePere – Brown County / Replace and upgrade HVAC system / $718,000
* Village of Elk Mount – Dun County / Finance public works projects / $100,000
* School District of Lena – Marinette and Oconto Counties / Refinanced prior service pension liability / $360,000
* Oneida County / Finance economic development project / $1,000,000
* City of Rhinelander – Oneida County / Finance economic development project / $500,000
* School District of Slinger – Washington County / Finance roof replacement and HVAC software upgrade / $255,000
* Town of Troy – Walworth County / Finance street and road improvements / $1,000,000
* School District of Twin Lakes #4 – Kenosha County / Finance building upgrades / $70,000
* School District of Twin Lakes #4 – Kenosha County / Finance technology improvements / $64,000
* Wind Lake Management District – Racine County / Finance land purchase and raze house / $110,000
* Winnebago County / Refinance prior service pensions liability / $125,000
* Winnebago County / Remodel low income housing properties / $1,057,000
In the last 12 months, including actions approved today, the Board of Commissioners of Public Lands has approved 205 loan applications totaling $181.3 million. The loans can be made to municipalities and school districts for any public purpose.
Created in 1848 by the Wisconsin Constitution, the Board of Commissioners of Public Lands was established to accept federal land grants and to manage trust funds for the benefit of public education in Wisconsin. The Board consists of Secretary of State Doug La Follette, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen and State Treasurer Dawn Marie Sass. The majority of Trust Fund assets are held in the Common School Fund, from which the majority of State Trust Fund loans are issued. Earnings from this fund are distributed to K‑12 public school libraries annually.
Loans approved in the last twelve months can be found here: http://bcpl.wisconsin.gov/docview.asp?docid=20502&locid=145
The agency’s current biennial report can be found here: http://bcpl.wisconsin.gov/docview.asp?docid=18464&locid=145