Media Contact: Steve Schultz (608) 458-3285
Convenient self service options are among the available choices for customers
MADISON, WI – March 10, 2009 – Wisconsin Power and Light Company (WPL), an Alliant Energy company, encourages customers who are not current on their utility bills to take advantage of any of our various payment options now, before the moratorium on shut offs ends April 15.
“We understand our customers find many different demands placed on them in today’s environment,” says Julie Bauer, Director of Customer Service for Alliant Energy. “We want customers to know we offer a number of bill payment options to ease this burden and assist them in staying current on their utility bill.”
Due to the significant phone volume that occurs this time of year, WPL reminds customers of the convenient self service options available to help in paying your bill. Choosing one of these options may save time, as customer service representatives may be busy assisting other customers before they’re able to answer your call.
Among the options available to customers are:
* Minimum Payment Option – Tells you right on your bill the minimum amount you can pay to avoid disconnection
* Online payment – All you need to make an instant online payment is your Alliant Energy utility account number and your bank account information. Visit our instant online payment page at alliantenergy.com .
* Pay by phone – Call 1-800-ALLIANT (1-800-255-4268) and follow the easy instructions in the interactive speech system. Have your Alliant Energy utility account number and your bank account information handy.
* Western Union® Convenience Pay® – For just $1.00 you can pay your Alliant Energy utility bill with cash, check or money order at a Western Union® Convenience Pay® location. To find the Convenience Pay location nearest you, call 1-800-551-8001.
* Your e-Bill – You can enroll in Your e-Bill through the Your Account site on alliantenergy.com . Have your Alliant Energy utility account number and your bank account information handy.
* Budget Billing – Alliant Energy calculates your average bill based on your current account balance, current fuel costs, anticipated fuel cost changes and the past 12 months of energy usage at your home. The budget bill amount is reviewed and adjusted, up or down, every six months.
If you do want to speak to someone in person, you can call 1-800-327-2708 to speak to one of our customer service representatives. Since this is a busy time of year for everyone, we encourage you to use our call back technology if you experience a wait when calling our customer service number. This feature provides you with the option to schedule a callback at a time more convenient for you or provides you with the option for us to call you back automatically when it is your turn.
It’s important to remember that energy assistance funds are still available for qualified individuals and families through the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP). The program provides dollars to moderate and low income level households to help pay a portion of their winter gas or electric bills.
To obtain energy assistance, qualified Wisconsin residents can apply to their local county energy assistance agency for WHEAP funds through May 15, 2009. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible by calling 1-866-432-8947 to locate the nearest county agency that provides energy assistance funds or visit homeenergyplus.wi.gov. Qualification for energy assistance is not based on whether someone is behind on their energy bills or rents versus owning a home.
Alliant Energy is an energy-services provider with subsidiaries serving approximately 1 million electric and 400,000 natural gas customers. Providing its customers in the Midwest with regulated electric and natural gas service is the company’s primary focus. Wisconsin Power and Light, the company’s Wisconsin utility subsidiary, serves approximately 450,000 electric and 175,000 natural gas customers. Alliant Energy, headquartered in Madison, Wis., is a Fortune 1000 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LNT. For more information, visit the company’s Web site at http://www.alliantenergy.com.