MILWAUKEE, March 10, 2008 – Baird, an employee-owned, international capital markets, private equity, wealth and asset management firm, announced today it has been named 2008 “Middle Market Investment Bank of the Year” by Buyouts magazine. Recognized for its exceptional growth in 2007, Baird’s Investment Banking group accepted the award last week during a formal award ceremony at the annual Buyouts East Conference in New York City.
In its March 10th yearbook issue, Buyouts highlights Baird’s focus on the international middle market, with deep industry expertise as a critical part of the firm’s success. “Content to be neither a wannabe bulge bracket bank…nor a boutique firm, Baird will continue to stake out its own territory in the middle market,” the publication notes.
“We are honored to receive this award from Buyouts,” said Steven G. Booth, Director of Investment Banking at Baird. “Private equity backed transactions are a core element of middle market activity, and we have worked diligently over the past several years to develop capabilities, relationships and insights related to this critical market segment.”
In 2007, Baird posted record results, significantly increasing the number and aggregate value of M&A deals, expanding its financial sponsor coverage and growing its international footprint. Most notably, in 2007 the firm:
- Was involved in 57 deals worth an aggregate $12.4 billion compared to 44 deals worth an aggregate of $4.6 billion in 2006;
- Continued to expand private equity-driven deals, which now account for over half of Baird’s M&A activity;
- Doubled European dollar volume between 2006 and 2007;
- Advised on its first U.S. – India deal; and
- Expanded its Technology sector capabilities, adding two, senior investment banking professionals and a second Bay Area office.
“2007 was a tremendous year for our clients and the firm, and we are well-positioned to achieve more great outcomes in 2008 and beyond,” continued Booth. “Being privately held and employee-owned will allow us to stay focused and continue to add to our capabilities and serve our clients.”