THE METRO MARKET CONCEPT
- Metro Market is a new concept by Roundy’s Inc. to bring a custom-tailored fresh grocery experience to Downtown Milwaukee.
- Metro Market is the first-of-its-kind fresh meat and seafood, fresh produce, fresh bakery and fresh deli shopping experience for people who live and work Downtown.
- The 53,000-square-foot store will open Aug. 17 at 1123 N. Van Buren Ave., in a former Kohl’s Food Store.
THE METRO MARKET EXPERIENCE
MEAT AND SEAFOOD
- 52-foot fresh service meat counter – the largest in the area – featuring almost a dozen different varieties of Metro Market’s “signature sausages” made on the premises daily
- 100 percent Angus beef, exclusive Berkshire pork (“the pork that eats like a steak”), local Strauss veal and lamb and premium poultry
- Fresh convenience products, including beef shishkabob, marinated boneless and skinless chicken, stuffed pork tenderloin and more
- 40 different varieties of fresh fish and seafood daily, including live lobsters, Dungeness crab, Wild Key West Pink Shrimp and fresh Alaskan Sockeye Salmon
- Convenience seafood products, including crab cakes, kabobs, stuffed filets and more
- Seafood staff will clean and filet whole fish to order, prepare seafood with specialty rubs and marinades, steam seafood for free and source out special species.
- All seafood orders are double-bagged – wrapped in plastic, then placed in a bag of ice for maximum protection and freshness.
- Climate-controlled – both for temperature and humidity – which preserves the freshness of the fruits and vegetables while creating a garden-like atmosphere
- More than 650 varieties of produce daily, including 25 varieties of fresh, ripe tomatoes; many varieties of potatoes in every color, shape and size available; more than 25 types of exotic fruits; and over 25 different varieties of fresh and dried mushrooms, from popular portabellas to exotic varieties like chanterelles and porcini.
- 110 varieties of organic produce, the largest organic produce selection in town.
- A fresh juice and smoothie bar
- A large selection of fragrant, potted herbs
- Custom-cut fruits and vegetables
- Much produce will be locally grown, with several daily deliveries of just-picked sweet corn in season
- European traditional pastries, including fresh fruit tarts, cannoli, Napoleons, mousse cakes and more
- 40 varieties of freshly baked artisan breads, including sauerkraut bread, olive bread and a variety of whole-grain rolls
- The Madeline Cake – the Bakery’s signature item – a refrigerated layer cake made with only genuine ingredients, frosted while you wait with butter crème icing and decorated with colored candy dots.
- Inviting café atmosphere, including a fireplace and plasma screen TV, morning newspapers from all over the United States and WI-FI technology so customers can surf the Internet or check e-mail
- Metro Market’s delicatessen will cater to shoppers looking for a quick bite for breakfast or lunch, as well as convenient, pre-prepared dinners and sides.
- Fresh, hot-and-ready breakfast favorites, including convenient egg sandwiches, frittatas and quiche will be available from 7 to 9 a.m.
- Lunchtime from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring a variety of hot and cold sandwiches, pizza, calzone, grilled sausages and more
- Dinner specials will change daily and include meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes, lasagna, pierogies and a complete Friday fish fry
- An on-site sushi chef will make customers’ fresh sushi to order.
- Cheeses from around the world, with special emphasis on locally produced cheese, as well as the “Cheddar Zone” with a wide variety of cheddar cheese to be sampled and taken home.
- An entire aisle of specialty coffees and teas from around the world.
- An expanded specialty ethnic foods section, including a vast assortment of Asian, Hispanic, Polish, British and Kosher products.
- “Best of the best” selection of new-age drinks, including, Boza Energy Drink, Tynant Spring Water and Inko’s Tea.
- A broad selection of natural and organic foods, with organic and natural products placed in easy-to-find locations alongside regular grocery items
- The first Roundy’s-operated in-store pharmacy
- Specialty hair care and beauty products
WINE AND SPIRITS
- An on-site wine steward will help customers make their perfect wine selections.
- A pick-your-price assortment of wines from whites to reds
- Cards throughout the store will suggest wine pairings for meal ideas and signature items
- A unique assortment of imported wines, including the very popular Australian blends.
- Pay-By-Touch technology allowing customers to pay for purchases by using a secure method of finger scanning – no need to carry cards, checks or cash
- “Line-Buster” hand-held scanners to cut waiting time in the checkout line
- Digital scales in the produce selection allow customers to weigh and price their own produce – and save time in the checkout line later on
- Store staff will have cellular phones and headsets to make in-store communication easier and more efficient
BE PART OF THE EXPERIENCE!
- A “Downtown Block Party” to celebrate Metro Market’s Milwaukee debut will be held from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 16. Crazy Man’s Basement will provide the music, and a special Downtown balloon release will include CEO Bob Mariano, Gov. Jim Doyle, Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager, other local dignitaries and Roundy’s officials.
- The store will officially open to the public the next morning – Tuesday, Aug. 17.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
BRENNA KRIVISKEY SADLER OR JEN DIRKS AT (414) 276-6237.