WEST ALLIS, WIS. – Dr. Christopher Johnson, a general dentist in Eau Claire, was sworn in as president of the 3,100-member Wisconsin Dental Association at the organization’s 152nd House of Delegates, which was held in Green Bay on Nov. 11 and 12. Dr. Johnson will serve as president until November 2023.
Dr. Johnson served as the WDA Region 1-Northwest Trustee from 2014-20 and as WDA vice president from 2020-21. He has been an American Dental Association (ADA) 9th District Delegate since 2015 and also served as president of the Eau Claire County Dental Society and the Northwest District Dental Society. He has been a member of the WDA Legislative, Membership Development, Long Range Planning, Executive, Finance and Wisconsin Dental Political Action (WIDPAC) committees, and has been an active volunteer in his community and charitable dental programs such as the WDA Foundation’s Donated Dental Services and Mission of Mercy clinic.
Dr. Johnson is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, where he then stayed for his general practice residency. He then served as a general dentist with the United States Navy from 1994-1997 before starting his private general dentistry practice in Eau Claire in 1997. He is a fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the International College of Dentists (ICD) and American College of Dentists (ACD).
Other 2022-23 leaders sworn in at the WDA House include:
· President-Elect Dr. Chris Hansen, a general dentist in Two Rivers.Dr. Hansen has been an active member of WIDPAC for over 11 years, serving as its chair from 2013-19. He served on the WDA Legislative Advocacy Committee from 2009-21 and as the ADA 9th District American Dental Political Action Committee representative from 2017-19. He represented the Northeast Region on the WDA Board of Trustees from 2015-21, served as a delegate to the ADA House of Delegates from 2015-20, and was president of the Manitowoc Calumet County Dental Society from 1996-98. He is a Marquette University School of Dentistry (MUSoD) graduate and a fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the ICD and ACD.
· Vice President Dr. Tom Reid, a general dentist in Madison. Dr. Reid most recently represented the Southwest Region on the WDA Board of Trustees from 2015-22. He has served on the WDA Insurance and Services Corporation Board since 2018, and was previously a member of the WDA Membership Development Committee from 2015-19. Dr. Reid held several leadership roles in the Greater Dane Dental Society, including president from 2013-14. Dr. Reid served as a delegate to the ADA House of Delegates from 2017-21 and he was a WDA Leadership Academy participant in 2015. He is a MUSoD graduate and fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the ICD and ACD.
· Immediate Past-President Dr. Cliff Hartmann, a pediatric dentist in New Berlin. Dr. Hartmann is an active staff member at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin and teaches in the MUSoD Department of Pediatric Dentistry. He served on the WDA Committee for the Dental Home Initiative from 2007-09 and 2011-12, and he represented the Southeast Region on the Board of Trustees from 2012-18. Dr. Hartmann was a recipient of the 2009 Pyramid of Pride President’s Award of Honor for the WDA Dental Home Initiative. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the Wisconsin Society of Pediatric Dentists. He is a fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, the ICD and ACD.
· Treasurer Dr. John R. Moser, a general dentist practicing in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward. He is also an adjunct professor in the Department of General Dental Sciences at MUSoD. A Greater Milwaukee Dental Association past-president and former Greater Milwaukee Region 3 Trustee, Dr. Moser was first appointed to the treasurer’s post in 2007.
· Editor Dr. Ryan Dodge, a general dentist in Hartford. Dr. Dodge was elected to the position of WDA Editor, which serves a four-year term. He is a graduate of MUSoD and was the WDA Region 6-MUSoD Student Trustee from 2016-2017. He was a member of the Marquette American Student Dental Association (ASDA) and served as the ASDA-WDA Liaison and as the ASDA District 7 Legislative Committee co-chair. Dr. Dodge also served on the WDA Membership Development Committee and is involved with the Marquette Mentors Program and the MUSoD-Pierre Fauchard Academy-WDA Mentor Program.
· Speaker of the House Dr. Monica Hebl, a general dentist in Milwaukee. Dr. Hebl is a graduate of MUSoD and has been widely involved at all levels of organized dentistry. She has served as Speaker of the WDA House of Delegates since 2015, but also as president in 2008 and on numerous committees. She has represented the ADA as a delegate from 1999-2014 and 2016-19, and holds fellowship in the ICD, ACD and Pierre Fauchard Academy.
WDA Trustees recently re-elected or new to the board include:
· Dr. Thomas Luepke III, a general dentist in Eau Claire. He was elected to represent Region 1 – Northwest for his first three-year term.
· Dr. Karen Johnson, a general dentist in Clintonville. She was elected to represent Region 2 – Northeast for her first three-year term.
· Dr. Angela Lueck, a general dentist in Milwaukee.She was re-elected to represent Region 3 – Greater Milwaukee for her second three-year term.
· Dr. Laura Lux, a general dentist in Lake Geneva. She was re-elected to represent Region 4 – Southeast for her second three-year term.
· Ms. Mumal Tunio, a D3 student at Marquette University School of Dentistry. She was elected by ASDA to represent Region 6 – MUSoD for a one-year term.
About the Wisconsin Dental Association
The Wisconsin Dental Association, with 3,100 member dentists and a number of dental hygienists, is the leading voice for dentistry in Wisconsin. WDA members are committed to promoting professional excellence and quality oral health care. Established in 1870, the WDA is headquartered in West Allis and has a legislative office in Madison. The WDA is affiliated with the American Dental Association – the largest and oldest national dental association in the world. For more information, call 414-276-4520, visit WDA.org and find us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram and LinkedIn.