De Pere, Wis.: St. Norbert College is opening its doors to the community on Saturday, Sept. 18, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the college’s annual SNC Day. Admission is free.
SNC Day provides an opportunity for area residents to visit campus and learn more about what the college has to offer. The event will feature two stages of musical entertainment, boat rides on the Fox River provided by the riverboat River Tyme, Segway tours, children’s activities, an SNC Day Mile run, faculty lectures and many different food options, including several local food-truck favorites. In addition, the College’s Health Center will be hosting a COVID-19 vaccination clinic, open to community members ages 12 and over. Those who choose to vaccinate will receive a 20% off coupon at the SNC Bookstore and can enter their name in a drawing to receive two tickets to the Packers vs. Rams game on Nov. 28.
The Webb Theatre in the Abbot Pennings Hall of Fine Arts will feature “He Walks Through Lightning,” a one-act play on the Life of St. Norbert of Xanten sponsored by St. Norbert Abbey. The Walter Theatre will host Knights on Broadway, SNC’s own premier choral group featuring Broadway’s biggest hits. And Saturday evening the SNC Music Department will host its Fall music concert.
The college’s F. K. Bemis International Center will host global-themed activities; an art market will feature the works of local and regional artists.
St. Norbert College is pleased to feature faculty lectures on a wide variety of topics. Just a few of the highlights include: “Climate Change: To Act or Not to Act,” “Understanding Recent Inflation Trends,” “The Science of a Happy Marriage,” “Unraveling the Mysteries of Photoshop,” “Brain Myths: Origins, Misconceptions and Actualities,” “The Chemistry of Chocolate,” “Communicating Across Cultures” and “Dead Languages Living Ideas.”
An art market will feature local and regional artists. Visitors can enjoy the display or find something special to take home.
Two special events will be held to kick off SNC Day on Friday evening, September 17. The Green Bay Film Festival will host an outdoor movie; just bring a blanket or lawn chairs at dusk to view “Wildlike,” a specially chosen, family-friendly feature film on the Campus Center lawn. The Walter Theater will be the location for the Cassandra Voss Celebration Concert that evening at 7 p.m. The concert features the Femmes of Rock, a high-energy rock production fronted by four female violinists/vocalists. The group has performed with some of the biggest names in the music business, including Beyonce, Rod Stewart, Shakira, Cheap Trick, Andrea Bocelli, Pitbull and many more. Tickets are available through the SNC Box Office: https://www.snc.edu/tickets/.
Specific events and times for SNC Day include:
Gazebo Stage on the Fox River:
10 a.m.-noon – Big Mouth
12:30-2:30 p.m. – Copper Box
3-5 p.m. – Grand Union
Abbot Pennings Hall of Fine Arts
Noon – 2 p.m. – Knights on Broadway
2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. – One-act play, “He Walks Through Lightning”
Elsewhere on campus throughout the day:
- Boat rides on the River Tyme riverboat
- Segway tours of campus and the surrounding area (nominal charge)
- Art market featuring local and regional artists
- Crew demonstration
- SNC Day Mile run at Schneider Stadium
- 16 lectures by St. Norbert faculty members on a wide variety of topics
- Loads of things for the kids, including inflatables, face-painting, a balloon artist, a climbing wall and fun activities sponsored by SNC’s Teacher Education department. The De Pere Fire Department will also have a fire truck on hand.
- Information about St. Norbert’s undergraduate and graduate programs, campus tours available
- Food marketplace with 13 options, including several local food-truck favorites and a variety of beverages
- Health and wellness resources and activities: yoga, smoothie samples and an opportunity to get your COVID-19 vaccination
For more information on all of the SNC Day activities, go to www.snc.edu/sncday.