Upcycled Art with TetraPAKMAN (July 24), Bubble Fun activities for Summer Library Carnival (July 29), Rollin’ with Rotary (Aug. 7)
MADISON, Wis. (July 21, 2015) More activities for kids and families have been added to the schedule for the Top of State series of outdoor programs where State Street meets the Capitol Square. Locations are Philosophers’ Grove (100 W. Mifflin St.) and 30 on the Square (100 N. Carroll St.). Check top-of-state.com for details and updates to the schedule, or call (608) 512-1342. (Please note: Children must be accompanied by adult; no drop offs. Activities may be moved or cancelled due to weather.)
Added for Kids’ Day at Top of State, Friday, July 24, 10am – noon: Upcycled Art Activities with TetraPAKMAN/USGathering Come enjoy an artist-built structure made out of upcycled materials that kids can play in and add to, while also learning about the value of recycling. USgathering is an independently funded art organization that works with communities to make participatory pieces from everyday materials that would otherwise end up discarded as waste. USgathering’s efforts during the last year include collaborations and projects with the Madison Art Commission (Public Art Pieces grant), the Madison Public Library (the Meadowridge Art Project, artist in residence), the Dane County Juvenile Detention Center (ARTinside), the UW Arboretum, The UW Nelson Institute, and activities in schools such as Glacier Edge Elementary School in Verona.
TetraPAKMAN/USGathering joins previously scheduled July 24 Kids’ Day activities with the Wisconsin Historical Museum and MSCR FIT2GO Van (Philosophers’ Grove and 30 on the Square).
Added for Wednesday, July 29: Summer Library Carnival Outdoor Activities
Summer Library Carnival, Outdoor Activities at Top of State, Wed., July 29, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm, Philosophers’ Grove.
Outdoor play and art with bubbles from Madison Public Library, as part of the Summer Library Carnival at Central Library and Overture Center (10:30 am – 1:30 pm)
Added for Kids’ Day at Top of State, Friday, August 7, 10am – noon: Rollin’ with Rotary
Rotary International’s Rollin’ with Rotary travelling activities, education and community service will make a stop at Kids’ Day at Top of State! In Rollin’ with Rotary, four young professionals are traveling across the country to celebrate Rotary, giving, and communities across the US. Between August 1st and August 9th, Adam, Jason, Kathy, Marie and Rotary International will stop in 9 cities (including Madison) from State College, PA to Cedar Rapids, IA. Hopping into an RV, packed with the desire to inspire others, the Rolling with Rotary crew will bring attention to local and international needs by doing Random Acts of Kindness, highlighting Rotarian activities, and creating community service projects.
At the August 7 Kids Day, Rollin’ with Rotary will provide the following activities to help kids get excited about giving and sharing their talents:
* Purple Pinky and Polio Eradication – A small educational lesson on polio, polio eradication, why we paint pinkies purple, and those who are ok with it will have their pinkies colored purple.
* Piggy’s for Peace – Decorating piggy banks, discuss the importance of saving money, and donating money to a charity.
* Hand Made Greeting Cards – Greeting cards will be made for either a child in the hospital or someone who’s homeless. These cards will then be delivered after Kids’ Day at Top of State to a soup kitchen/shelter and a children’s hospital. Kids can also make a card to take with them to give out!
Rollin’ with Rotary joins previously scheduled August 7 Kids’ Day activities with Wisconsin Historical Museum and Madison Public Library (Philosophers’ Grove and 30 on the Square).
Updated Schedule, Kids’ Day at Top of State, Fridays, 10am – noon (see top-of-state.com for updates):
Fri. July 24 Wisconsin Historical Museum and Upcycled Art with TetraPAKMAN/USGathering, Philosophers’ Grove MSCR FIT2GO Van, 30 on the Square
Wed. July 29 **Special Event** Summer Library Carnival activities at Top of State, 11:30 am – 1:30 pm, Philosopher’s Grove Outdoor Bubble Fun at Top of State as part of the Summer Library Carnival (Madison Central Library, Overture Center, 10:30am-1:30pm)
Fri. July 31 Wisconsin Historical Museum and Madison Children’s Museum, Philosophers’ Grove
MSCR FIT2GO Van, 30 on the Square
Fri. Aug. 7 Rollin’ with Rotary and Madison Public Library, Philosophers’ Grove
Wisconsin Historical Museum, 30 on the Square
Fri. Aug. 14 Wisconsin Historical Museum and Madison Children’s Museum (special Museum 5th birthday celebration!), Philosophers’ Grove
MSCR FIT2GO Van, 30 on the Square
Previously Scheduled Activities Descriptions:
* Stop by for historic games and activities with the Wisconsin Historical Museum. Enjoy games invented by the Native Peoples of Wisconsin, played by early American settlers, and some that even date back to Ancient Greece! These games for all ages will take place outside – rain or shine!
* The MSCR FIT2GO Van will bring play, fitness and fun to families with equipment such as hula hoops, jump ropes, sports equipment, Imagination Playground, and more. Visit the FIT2GO Van at 30 on the Square, Fridays from 10am – noon, June 19 and 26, and July 10, 17, 24 and 31. (May be cancelled due to rain or poor weather).
* Join the Madison Public Library as we celebrate summer — from giant bubbles to creative puppets, all ages are welcome to learn, share and create with us! (Rain location: Children’s Room of the Central Library, 201 W. Mifflin St.)
* Explore mobile exhibits from Madison Children’s Museum, and participate in our summer “Postcard Heroes” project. On Thursday, August 14, celebrate Madison Children’s Museum’s 5th birthday, and follow the museum’s homing pigeons to the museum at noon for a birthday celebration.
The BID “Top of State” summer programming series feature an eclectic mix of music, arts and crafts, children’s activities, and pop-up or drop-in events, June through September, where State Street meets the Square, in Philosophers’ Grove (100 W. Mifflin St.) and 30 on the Square (100 N. Carroll St.). Find more information and a schedule at top-of-state.com or call (608) 512-1342. The Top of State summer programs are presented by Madison’s Central BID in partnership with the City of Madison, Madison Parks Foundation and Isthmus.
Top of State Media Contact:
Mary Carbine, Madison Central BID
“Rollin with Rotary” Media Contact: