For additional information contact
Neil Fauerbach, Director of Marketing
Smith & Gesteland
608-836-7500 – [email protected]
MADISON, WI APRIL 23, 2012: An award honoring family businesses in Wisconsin has drawn nominations from across the state. 21 companies are competing for the Wisconsin Family Business of the Year Award in three categories. Awards will be given to Small (1-49 employees), Medium (50-99) and Large (100+) companies.
Nominees represent first through fifth generation companies and include several general and specialty construction companies, hospitality, manufacturing, media, and business services. The oldest company started operations in 1890 as a newspaper.
The nominees are:
* Automation Components, Inc. – Middleton
* JF Brennan Company, Inc. – La Crosse
* Cleary Building Corp. – Verona
* Dave Jones Plumbing, Inc. – Madison
* Energy Performance Lighting – Cottage Grove
* Hitt Studios, Inc. – New Berlin
* J&K Security Solutions – Madison
* Lindus Construction – Baldwin
* Morgan Murphy Media – WISC-TV – Madison
* Northern Concrete Construction, Inc. – Denmark
* Peterson Wood Treating – Superior
* Pioneer Ford Sales, Ltd. – Platteville
* Planet Wise, Inc. – New Glarus
* Ron’s Refrigeration – Wisconsin Rapids
* Seljan Company, Inc. – Lake Mills
* Michael F. Simon Builders – Waunakee
* Spierings Specialty Molded Products, Inc. – Blair
* State Collection Service, Inc. – Madison
* TASC – Total Administrative Services Corporation– Middleton
* Van’s Lumber – Luxemburg
* Von Rutenberg Ventures – Waunakee
The winners will be selected by a panel of independent judges based on criteria including: positive links between family and business, contribution to community and industry, and innovative practices. The winners will be announced at a banquet on May 9th at the Madison Marriott West in Middleton. The banquet is open to the public as well as the nominees.
Family-owned businesses account for 60% of total U.S. employment, 78% of all new jobs, and 65% of wages paid. In the United States, some 35% of Fortune 500 companies are family-owned, while 60% of publicly-listed companies are family-controlled. Their economic influence is enormous, producing an estimated 50% of the nation’s gross domestic product.
The award program is sponsored by Smith & Gesteland, a Madison-based CPA and consulting firm, First Business Bank, and Whyte Hirschboeck, Dudek, a Wisconsin law firm.
For more information on the program and the banquet you can call Neil Fauerbach at 608-836-7500, or visit http://www.familybusinessaward.com.