Healthy Living Events
OSHKOSH, WI – 54902 – Joel Salatin and Will Allen to appear at the Natural Product & Organic Food Expo in Oshkosh on May 4th, 2013. Activities for the duo will include:
* Book Signings
Discussion Panel sponsored by the Wisconsin Farmer’s Union
Both will be available early morning for media interviews.
Joel Salatin Bio:
Joel Salatin, 56, is a full-time farmer in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley.He writes extensively in magazines such as STOCKMAN GRASS FARMER, ACRES USA, and FOODSHED.
The family’s farm, Polyface Inc. (“The Farm of Many Faces”) has been featured in SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, GOURMET and countless other radio,television and print media. Profiled on the Lives of the 21st Century series with Peter Jennings on ABC World News, his after-broadcast chat room fielded more hits than any other segment to date. It achieved iconic status as the grass farm featured in the NEW YORK TIMES bestseller OMNIVORE’S DILEMMA by food writer guru Michael Pollan and the award-winning film documentary, FOOD INC.
Salatin raises livestock using holistic methods of animal husbandry, free of potentially harmful chemicals, on his Polyface Farm in Swoope, Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley. Meat from the farm is sold by direct-marketing to consumers and restaurants.
He has authored eight books:
* PASTURED POULTRY PROFITS: Net $25,000 in 6 months on 20 Acres
* SALAD BAR BEEF
* YOU CAN FARM: The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farming Enterprise
* FAMILY FRIENDLY FARMING: A Multi-Generational Home-Based Business Testament
* HOLY COWS AND HOG HEAVEN: The Food Buyer’s Guide to Farm Friendly Food, is an attempt to bring producers and patrons together in mutual understanding and appreciation
* EVERYTHING I WANT TO DO IS ILLEGAL: War stories from the local food front.
* THE SHEER ECSTASY OF BEING A LUNATIC FARMER
* FOLKS, THIS AIN’T NORMAL: A Farmer’s Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World
Will Allen Bio:
Will Allen appears in the documentary film, Fresh. The film refers to Allen as “one of the most influential leaders of the food security and urban farming movement.”
Will Allen is the co-author, with Charles Wilson, of the book The Good Food Revolution: Growing Healthy Food, People and Communities, published by Gotham Books, a member of Penguin Group, USA. The book was nominated for a 2013 NAACP Image Award.
On May 20, 2012, Allen was awarded an honorary Doctor of Agriculture degree from the University of Wisconsin.
Allen currently serves as director of Growing Power, a now mature urban farming project in Milwaukee, with a 40-acre farm west of Milwaukee in the town of Merton and an off-shoot project in Chicago run by Allen’s daughter, Erika.
In 2005, Allen was awarded a Ford Foundation leadership grant on behalf of his urban farming work. In 2008, he was awarded the MacArthur Foundation “Genius Grant” for his work on urban farming and sustainable food production.
Other Expo Highlights:
The Natural Product & Organic Food Expo brings together local and national companies that specialize in natural and organic products, natural and organic foods, Green and Eco-friendly products for the home, pets, and the whole family. Kick off the farmers market season. Meet and buy direct from local, organic farmers and vendors. Learn how to buy and preserve seasonal food. Snatch up early seedlings, fresh greens and free-range meat and eggs.
* 200 Vendors
* Dozens of Workshops
* Taste of Home Cooking School
* Emmy Winning Chef Eric Villegas
* Children’s Action Zone – complete with an inflatable tornado. The kids will love climbing the twisting stairway to the center (eye) of the storm where they will find themselves sliding almost out of control back towards the safety of the Earth!