Contact: Ron Buchholz
WHITEWATER Whether you’re a student in need of extra cash, or a student on the search for career opportunities the Hawk Career Fair and Expo can provide the steppingstone to your goals.
The University of Wisconsin- Whitewater holds its annual Hawk Career Fair from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 30, in the Hamilton Center in the James R. Connor University Center. There will be more than 80 employers looking to recruit students for part-time, full-time and internship positions.
“This year we have expanded the career fair to include the expo where students can learn a variety of professional skills from the professionals themselves,” said Ron Buchholz, director of Career and Leadership Development. There will be several workshops given by different companies. All will be held in room 261 in the James R. Connor University Center. Workshops include:
* 12:30 p.m., How to Work a Career Fair by CUNA Mutual.
* 1 p.m., How to Conduct a Successful Job Search by Federated Insurance.
* 1:30 p.m., Developing Your Personal Brand by M&I Corporation.
* 2 p.m., Business Etiquette by Enterprise Rent-A-Car.
* 2:30 p.m., Networking by Northwestern Mutual.
* 3 p.m., How to Have a Great First Year on the Job by Kohl’s.
Buchholz said students can also get an online business makeover with the Milwaukee-based agency Spreenkler. “The makeover gives guidance on students’ cyber image, including the do’s and don’ts of Facebook,” he said.
Job opportunities are available for all types of majors. A few of the companies attending are American Family Insurance, Easter Seals, Edward Jones Investments, Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation, Kohl’s Department Stores, Madison’s City of Police Department, Six Flags Great America, the Bon-Ton stores, Inc., and the United States Army. For the complete listing of all the companies and advice visit http://www.uww.edu/career/ and click on “HawkQuest.”
The suggested dress for the event is professional business attire and a minimum of business casual is required. Students are encouraged to bring a supply of resumes. Prior to the Hawk Career Fair several resume building workshops will be held:
* 1 to 4 p.m, Tuesday, Sept. 22, in the James R. Connor University Center Concourse by the Fiskum Art Gallery.
* 9 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, Sept. 23, in Hyland Hall.
* 9 a.m. to noon, Thursday, Sept. 24, in the James R. Connor University Center Concourse by the Fiskum Art Gallery.
For more information, contact Ron Buchholz at [email protected] or 262-472-1498.