CONTACT: Mark Bugher, 608-441-8000, [email protected]
MADISON – Three finalists have been selected in the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s search for a vice chancellor for university relations. They are:
– Michael J. Brophy, vice president for corporate communications at Milwaukee-based Midwest Airlines;
– Mark S. Rosati, associate chancellor for public affairs at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the University of Illinois Medical Center; and
– Vince Sweeney, senior associate athletic director for external relations at UW-Madison.
The vice chancellor for university relations will be responsible for strategic and effective short- and long-term communications and relationship-building. That individual will formulate and advance strategic university communications; develop and maintain relationships with government, community and social sectors; build and sustain corporate relations and economic development initiatives; and enhance constituent relations, including parents, visitors, alumni and friends of the university community. The successful candidate will also align university-relations efforts campuswide.
The salary for this position will be paid with unrestricted private funds provided to the chancellor by the UW Foundation.
A 13-member search-and-screen committee made up of faculty, academic staff and student representatives recently presented the list of unranked finalists to Chancellor Biddy Martin. The committee was chaired by Mark Bugher, director of the University Research Park.
“After a thorough search-and-screen process, we are pleased to advance these three talented individuals for the chancellor’s consideration,” says Bugher.
More on the finalists:
– Brophy has served in his position since 2007 and is responsible for all external and internal communications and government and community relations for Midwest Airlines. He previously worked in the Milwaukee area as the communications director for the Metro and Kettle Moraine Regions for Aurora Health Care Inc. from 2005-07. From 1991-2002, Brophy was manager of corporate communications at the Miller Brewing Co. and served as the firm’s director of public affairs from 2002-04. He holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism, French and history from UW-Madison.
– Rosati has served in his position since 2001 and is the chief communications officer for the University of Illinois at Chicago and its public medical center. Previously, he served for two years as the university’s director of public affairs. From 1994-98, Rosati was manager of news and information at the Illinois Institute of Technology and for six months in 1998 served as the school’s interim director of public relations. He holds a bachelor’s degree with a communications and journalism concentration from Charter Oak State College.
– Sweeney has served in his current role since 2002 and is responsible for managing the brand of Wisconsin athletics through oversight of the athletic department’s external relations functions. He is a member of the department’s senior staff. From 1994-2002, Sweeney was UW-Madison’s associate athletic director for external relations, and from 1991-94 he was the athletic department’s director of marketing and promotions. From 1990-91, Sweeney served as the university’s first director of trademark licensing. He holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication from UW-Madison.