More than 500 TDS employees volunteered over 6,000 hours in 2007.
Today, the United Way 2008 Community Volunteer Business Award was presented to TDS Telecommunications Corp.
United Way President Leslie Ann Howard presented the prestigious award to TDS President and CEO Dave Wittwer on June 2, at the TDS headquarters on Junction Road in Madison. TDS employees joined in the presentation and enjoyed cake throughout the day as a special ‘thank you’ for volunteering.
Annually, the United Way of Dane County recognizes one area business for its efforts to advance the community’s Agenda for Change through volunteerism. When it comes to volunteerism, TDS is a leader in Dane County. For example, in 2007 more than 25 percent of TDS’ employees volunteered over 6,000 hours to help 30-plus local organizations.
“It’s an honor to accept this award,” says Wittwer. “Since TDS was founded in 1969, being good corporate citizens has always been a core part of our mission. Earning this award is a true testament to our employees who have truly embraced our mission.”
TDS employees volunteer:
- Delivering meals every Tuesday to ensure that older adults in Dane County can remain independent and in their homes.
- Preparing 300 backpacks annually for local school children, so they have everything they need to start school with a successful first day.
- Providing gifts, meals, and services to households transitioning into permanent housing thereby reducing homelessness among families with children.
- Serving as members on many area non-for-profits boards of directors, providing guidance and leadership.
- Running/walking in support of local organizations to help raise the funds that support the Agenda for Change.
- Coordinating blood drives and giving blood to the tune of 280 pints in 2007.
- Ringing bells, painting houses, preparing meals, and picking up debris along Highway 14.
# # #
TDS Telecommunications Corp. markets communications services to business and residential customers in 30 states, through its brands TDS Telecom and TDS Metrocom. With more than 1.2 million access line equivalents in service, TDS Telecommunications Corp. connects customers to phone, broadband, and digital television service in hundreds of rural, suburban, and small metropolitan communities. Headquartered in Madison, Wis., TDS Telecommunications Corp. employs approximately 2,700 people. Visit www.tdstelecom.com and www.tdsmetro.com for more information. TDS Telecommunications Corp. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. (AMEX: TDS, TDS.S), a Fortune 500® company. Visit www.teldta.com for more information.