Tony Hozeny, Department of Commerce, 608/267-9661
MADISON – Gov. Jim Doyle announced today that 11 Wisconsin agencies will
receive $895,727 in awards from the State Shelter Subsidy Grant program
administered by the Bureau of Housing in the Department of Commerce.
Statewide awards of funding totaled 37 projects for $1.3 million.
“With this funding, we will be able to further our commitment to the
homeless men, women, and children by assisting agencies all over the state
to continue to provide shelter for homeless people in Wisconsin,” said Gov.
Doyle. “The emergency programs will enable the shelters to provide over
490,000 nights of shelter in 2005, a 4 percent increase over 2004.”
The State Shelter Subsidy Grant Program was initiated by the Legislature in
1985. The grant provides up to 50 percent of the operating budget of a
generic homeless shelter facility or homeless voucher program. The program
is open to government agencies or private for-profit and non-profit
agencies. These funds provide a consistent funding source on an annual
basis for many of the smaller emergency programs.
The successful proposals are as follows:
* Health Care for the Homeless, Milwaukee, $366,607. This agency will
provide service to Milwaukee County.
* Community Action, Inc. of Rock/Walworth Counties, $84,130. This
agency will provide service to Rock and Walworth Counties.
* Community Action Coalition for South Central Wisconsin, Madison,
$2,550. This agency will provide service to Jefferson County.
* Hebron House of Hospitality, Inc., Waukesha, $44,500. This agency
will provide service to Waukesha County.
* Kenosha County Interfaith Human Concerns Network, Kenosha, $26,000.
This agency will provide service to Kenosha County.
* New Beginnings, Beaver Dam, $3,200. This agency will provide
service to Dodge County.
* Salvation Army, Madison, $255,440. This agency will provide service
to Dane County.
* Salvation Army, Sheboygan, $18,000. This agency will provide
service to Sheboygan County.
* Salvation Army, Waukesha, $32,000. This agency will provide service
to Waukesha County.
* United Migrant Opportunity Services, Inc., Milwaukee, $60,000. This
agency will provide service to 57 counties.
* Washington County Red Cross, Milwaukee, $3,300. This agency will
provide services to Washington County.
For more information about the Emergency Shelter and Transitional Housing
Grant Programs, contact Marty Evanson, Commerce, 608/267-2713.