UW Health: UW Hospital named one of the nation's 50 top cardiovascular hospitals
Contact: Gian Galassi
MADISON - University Hospital was recently named one of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by Watson Health (formerly Truven Health Analytics). This is the ninth time University Hospital has been recognized with this honor.
· Fewer patients with complications (18% to 20% fewer)
· Higher 30-day survival rates for acute myocardial infarction (AMI) and heart failure (HF), and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) patients (0.3 to 0.9 percentage points higher)
· Lower readmission rates for AMI, HF, and CABG patients (0.6 to 0.9 percentage points lower)
· Average lengths of stay for CABG patients that were one day lower than nonwinners and 0.3 to 0.5 days lower for AMI, HF and percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) patients
· $1,333 to $5,745 less in total costs per patient case
To identify the 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals, Watson Health researchers analyzed only publicly available data from Medicare Provider Analysis and Review (MEDPAR) data set; Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare data set; and Medicare Cost Reports.