WE Energies: DNR air permit for Oak Creek expansion affirmed
MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin Administrative Law Judge William S. Coleman today issued a decision affirming the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) January 2004 issuance of an Air Pollution Control and Construction Permit for We Energies’ expansion of the Oak Creek Power Plant.
“We are extremely pleased with the decision,” said Larry Salustro, We Energies executive vice president and general counsel. “After extensive hearings, the judge confirmed that the DNR had done a thorough job of evaluating and assuring that the project will meet the state’s stringent requirements. This is a significant step forward in our efforts to ensure that construction at the site starts on time.”
In the decision, Judge Coleman found that the DNR did not err on any of the grounds raised by the opponents.
The court found:
· The analysis done by the DNR complied with all the applicable requirements of state law.
· The DNR was not required to include the integrated coal gasification combined-cycle (IGCC) process in the analysis for the supercritical pulverized coal units.
· Alternative sites, sizes, production processes and environmental control techniques were properly considered in the analysis.
· Environmental and social costs were weighed against the benefits of the project.
· The DNR reasonably determined that all We Energies facilities in Wisconsin were in compliance or on a schedule for compliance.
The opponents may ask for a rehearing from the DNR or appeal this decision to Circuit Court.
We Energies serves more than one million electric customers in Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and more than one million natural gas customers in Wisconsin. Its energy prices are more than 10 percent below the average for major U.S. cities. We Energies is the trade name of Wisconsin Electric Power Company and Wisconsin Gas LLC, the principal utility subsidiaries of Wisconsin Energy Corporation (NYSE: WEC). Visit the We Energies Web site at www.we-energies.com. Learn more about Wisconsin Energy Corporation by visiting www.WisconsinEnergy.com.